The Fort Smith Board of Directors will decide Tuesday whether to make changes to the police department, including adding a position.
If approved, the new position will be a deputy director of administrative services who would be responsible for planning and research, grants research and acquisitions, oversight regarding the operations of the Office of Professional Standards and day to day administrative duties as needed. Police Chief Nathaniel Clark had proposed that the position be paid at least $65,000 a year. He also proposed that the department be reorganized to have seven lieutenant positions rather than four sergeant and three captain positions, which is expected to cost the city about $4,000.
The board will also vote on an ordinance ordering the owners of a "dilapidated and substandard" structure on 1918 S. P St. to demolish the structure.
The structure has been damaged and/or deteriorated to the point that the Building Safety Division has posted it as an unsafe structure. It has had no water service usage since 1988, according to a memo from Director of Development Services Wally Bailey to City Administrator Carl Geffken.
The board will also decide whether to authorize lease agreements with Mendez Concessions for a pool concession stand at Creekmore Park and with Webster University for the space on the lower level of the Convention Center Annex.
Directors will also consider:
• A resolution accepting completion of and authorizing final payment of $255,961 for street overlays and reconstruction.
• A resolution authorizing payment of $332,200 to Oklahoma Gas & Electric Services, for electrical service improvements associated with the Riverlyn Wastewater Pump Station Replacement.
• A resolution accepting the project as complete and authorizing final payment of $201,796 to KAJACS Contractors, Inc. for the replacement of lift stations and a resolution for the replacement of the lift stations.
• A resolution accepting the Lake Fort Smith Water Transmission Line, Phase I, retail meter relocation, as complete and authorizing final payment of $15,878 to T-N-T, Inc. for construction and a resolution authorizing $128,300 to Mickle Wagner Coleman, Inc. for the engineering services for the project.
• A resolution authorizing the mayor to execute a $286,800 agreement and Authorization No. 1 with Hawkins-Weir Engineers, Inc. for engineering services for the 2016 sanitary sewer assessment remedial measures.
• A resolution authorizing the mayor to execute a $289,730 agreement and Authorization No. 1 with RJN Group, Inc. for engineering services for the 2016 sanitary sewer assessment remedial measures.
• A resolution authorizing the mayor to execute a $302,180 agreement and Authorization No. 1 with Morrison Shipley Engineers, Inc. for engineering services for the 2016 sanitary sewer assessment remedial measures.
• A resolution granting a temporary revocable license to ArcBest for the placement of signage and light fixtures in a utility easement.
• Appointments to the Animal Services Advisory Board, Airport Commission, Community Development Advisory Committee, Electric Code Appeals Board, Fort Smith Municipal Employees Benevolent Fund Board of Advisers and Library Board of Trustees.